Name:
Location: Maine, United States

9.25.2006

Let's Get It Started With A Positive Jam!

This is a new blog. This is me half-ripping off my good pal Dead Dog Aids, half experimenting with my obsession with music and talking about music. These posts will be mildly insane ramblings about individual tracks.

I have set no rules for the tracks I choose to write about and share with all of you faithful readers. Any genre, era, and artist is fair game for my crazy talk. Hopefully some of you will get to hear some stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Hopefully some of you will hate some of these tracks and communicate this hatred with a big rant against the tune using the comment option at the bottom of each of these posts. Hopefully some of you will fall in love with a tune or two.

The idea is to read whatever crap I have to say about the track and then listen to it. Then, if you feel motivated enough, comment on the post. Sound like a plan?! Yeah! Let's begin...

The first ever "Positive Jam" that I will ramble on about comes from the golden year of 1973, and from the paradise of an American city known as Detroit. Detroit yielded hundreds of number one hits and all around "hot tracks" from the early 60's up until the mid 70's, making it no surprise that The Detroit Emeralds have since been lost in the shuffle.

The Emeralds are sporadically brought up in some discussions of the greatest R&B songs ever recorded, but most of the time people are talking about another great Emeralds' song: "Feel the Need". I love "Feel the Need", but the song I've been obsessing over lately is the much forgotten "You're Getting A Little Too Smart".

This jam just grooves and flows smoothly along until your entire body is moving in sync with it. I'd love to find this entering my ears on a gigantic dance floor, the girl of my dreams dancing steamily in front of me as the crowd pulls back to encircle us, cheering us on as we boogy real sweet-like to the "whoooo-ohhh"'s, funky bassline, and perfectly timed horn stabs. This song is addicting in the same way as vintage Michael Jackson and recent Justin Timberlake songs: it's sheerly brilliant and undeniably danceable pop music. A positive jam.


Detroit Emeralds - You're Getting A Little Too Smart.mp3

1 Comments:

Blogger kevin weidner said...

i must say, i'm glad that you've started a new blog. it will give me something to do when i'm sitting here listening to music and being otherwise unproductive.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home